Wednesday 14 July 2021

COMMUNICATION SKILLS EXERCISE

In each of the following, read items A, B and C, then mark the one that best describes your communication style.            

1

A

When conversing with others I usually do most of the talking.

B

When conversing with others I usually let the other person do most of the talking.

C

When conversing with other I try to equalize my participation in the conversation

2

A

When I first meet someone, I wait for the other person to make the introduction first.

B

When I first meet someone, I introduce myself with a smile and offer a handshake.

C

When I first meet someone, I hug the person.

3

A

I usually ‘warm up’ new conversations with small talk.

B

I usually avoid small talk and jump into more important matters.

C

I usually avoid starting conversations.

4

A

I make an effort to remember and use peoples names.

B

I don't pay attention to names as I tend to forget them.

C

I only learn the names of important people.

5

A

I frequently use courtesy words and phrases 'please' 'thank you' 'you're welcome' 'I'm sorry'

B

I occassionally use these courtesy words and phrases.

C

I never use these courtesy words and phrases.

6

A

I tend to be serious and don’t smile often while conversing.

B

I smile all the time while conversing.

C

I smile at appropriate times while conversing.

7

A

I make eye contact while conversing.

B

I sometimes make eye contact while conversing.

C

I never make eye contact while conversing.

8

A

While conversing, I hold my head still at all times.

B

While conversing, I nod my head at appropriate times.

C

While conversing, I nod my head constantly.

9

A

While conversing, I stand one foot away from the person.

B

While conversing, I stand two to three feet away from the person.

C

While conversing, I stand five to six feet away from the person.

10

A

I often stand while talking to a person who is sitting.

B

I often sit while talking to a preson who is sitting.

C

I often lean down while talking to a person who is sitting.

11

A

To end a conversation, I often just leave.

B

To end a conversation, I begin to look impatient hoping the person will get the hint.

C

To end a conversation, I wrap up with a closing statement.

12

A

If a co-worker has put on weight, I say nothing about it.

B

If a co-worker has put on weight, I tell the person that he or she has changed in appearance.

C

If a co-worker has put on weight, I honestly tell the person that he or she looks fat.

13

A

When I'm listening to the speaker, I often cross my arms over my chest.

B

When I'm listening to the speaker, I often lean back and turn my body away from the speaker.

C

When I'm listening to the speaker, I often lean slightly forward and face my body towards the  speaker.

14

A

When I cross my leg, I cross my leg facing the speaker.

B

When i cross my leg, I cross my leg away from the speaker.

C

When I cross my leg, I bob my foot.

15

A

While listening, I tend to be distracted by things going on around me.

B

While listening, I listen for meaning and ask questions.

C

While listening, I watch the person speak, but I don’t 'hear' a word.

16

A

When someone talks about an unfortunate or sad experience, I don’t comment about it

B

When someone talks about an unfortunate or sad experience, I try to change the subject.

C

When someone talks about an unfortunate or sad experience, I try to relate to the person's feelings and show sensitivity to his or her misfortune.

17

A

When I discuss a topic I tend to talk about and focus on positive (good) aspects.

B

When I discuss a topic I tend to talk about and focus on negative (bad) aspects.

C

When I discuss a topic I tend complain.

18

A

When I have a negative opinion or comment, I just say it.

B

When I have a negative opinion or comment, I lead in with a positive comment first.

C

When I have a negative opinion or comment, I make it a point to stress on the negatve issue.

19

A

When I receive unfavorable feedback, I note where I need to improve.

B

When I receive unfavorable feedback, I get angry and defensive.

C

When I receive unfavorable feedback, I deny the problem, make excuses or plead ignorance.

20

A

When I give a person negative feedback I focus on the persons observable work or behavior and offer suggestions.

B

When I give a person negative feedback I focus on what I don't like about the person.

C

When I give a person negative feedback I simply tell the person what to do right.

21

A

When I give a person negative feedback I do it around others so everyone can hear.

B

When I give a person negative feedback I do it in front of the supervisor.

C

When I give a person negative feedback I talk with the person alone.

22

A

When I disagree with a person, I listen first ask questions for clarification, then disagree non-judgmentally.

B

When I disagree with a person, I quickly point out the person is wrong and why.

C

When I disagree with a person, I say little or nothing.

23

A

When I'm in a group, I tend to frown a lot.

B

When I'm in a group, I tend to smile and use humor at appropriate times.

C

When I'm in a group, I tend to be serious.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment